Fashion and music have an inseparable relationship. Rolling Stone magazine would even go as far as calling their relationship “incestuous”. They are both an art form, goes by trends, and most of the time, their message is beyond comprehension. The turn of the century and the coming of the MTV made the relationship of fashion and music more obvious and it came with bolder declarations as well. Lots of musicians became iconic not just with their music but with a lot of help from their fashion department.
The benefit is mutual because if you ask fashion designers, it is a guarantee that most of them would tell you that they were inspired by this music and that music from this artists. So in the spirit of the fashion and music industry, check out these unforgettable fashion and music collaborations.
Top 5 Fashion and Music Collaborations
1. Queens – Frontman Freddy Mercury alone is a music genius. People would buy their records for their music for their music sake but their concerts are a visual feast with pyrotechnics, huge lighting rigs, massive sound systems and leotards? Freddy Mercury frequently wore leotards reminiscent of his seventies attire. You might also remember him in drag singing ”I Want To Break Free”, just one of his many coming-out-of-the-closet songs.
2. Lady Gaga – Do you know that her stage name “Lady Gaga” was actually inspired by one of the songs of Queen? It is true, the title of the song was Radio Gaga. So if Lady Gaga was inspired in more ways than one by the Queen, it should not come as a surprise to us about her bold fashion choices. Remember the telephone hairdo in her music video with Beyonce
“Telephone”, her meat gown for an awards show and the Mother Monster inside the egg costume are just some of the memorable fashion and music ensemble she donned. Wait! Don’t forget the 24 carat gold wheelchair she used while recovering from a hip surgery!
3. Michael Jackson – He is very much deceased but not his fashion and music. A lot of people still wear his “Thriller” costume during Halloweens and special presentations. He transformed into a zombie and then a moon – walking man wearing his black sequined jacket, white shirt, black pants and shoes. But when he was younger, still a member of the Jackson 5, you can see him belting tunes in psychedelic prints. Now, that’s unforgettable!
4. Spice Girls – Sooooo tell me what you want, what you really, really want? Their reunion performance in the London Olympics just made us remember why we loved them in the first place. Anyone who grew up with them would either fall into one of the five camps: Baby, Scary, Ginger, sporty or Posh. The camps represent different personalities and taste in fashion. Posh aka Victoria Beckham may have been in the lead when it comes to fashion. Sad that they have to be disbanded though.
5. Beyonce – She is Mrs. Carter now but way back, Beyonce and her mom Tina Knowles started their own fashion line. The name is House of Dereon. It was fueled by fans of Destiny’s Child wanting to wear what their group is wearing. She has fashion and music plus business. Way to go Queen B!
When you can tell that our criteria for Most Unforgettable Fashion and Music Collaborations involves shock value. Did our choices shock you?